Well, everyone nowadays loves changing their hair now and then. But the main question, popping into their minds, is how to dye curly hair at home without damaging it. Such a question, undoubtedly, has become a daunting task for everyone, making them think that it is impossible to dye their hair without damaging it. But this is not the case; you can do it only when you have the right directions.
However, there is a fix for every issue. I have looked into how to dye curly hair at home after considering this question. I learned some advice from this on how to dye hair at home without causing damage.
In fact, if you are looking for a way to color curly hair without going to a salon, which is undoubtedly quite expensive, you are definitely in the right place. Therefore, in this blog, an attempt has been made to share some proven tips and tricks for dyeing hair at home without damaging it and how to take care of it after you have colored it.
To Dye Your Curly Hair, 8 Steps are Important to Follow
- Obtain the supplies you will need to color your curly hair.
- Prepare the dyeing color by mixing it properly
- Sectionalize your hair.
- On hairlines, apply petroleum jelly.
- From the roots to the ends, deeply work the color through your hair.
- Then, allow it to dry by following the dye's directions.
- Thoroughly wash with plain water.
- Take good care of your coloured hair.
Indeed, a good hair day is God's way of telling you that you're beautiful. Using the right techniques while dyeing the hair and caring after the color is nothing but making your hair healthier and beautiful.
So,the secret to getting healthy and shiny hair is using tailored products as per your hair's needs, because cure is better than prevention.
read more How to Become A Henna Artist
1. Items that are essential while dyeing curly hair
The first and foremost thing that you need is to collect the tools that are to be used while dyeing curly hair. They include: a hair dryer, if needed; bowls and squirt bottles; a set of gloves for protection purposes; and a piece of collared smocking.
Similarly, like other items, you also need some hair clips, a brush, and a comb, as well as a towel and foil. However, instead of getting each item separately, buying a complete henna hair dye set would be an excellent option. Because the kit has all the essential tools, which will surely help you in the journey of dyeing your curly hair,
As preparation for dyeing curly hair is a primary step towards making your curly hair beautiful, a few tips must be followed:
- Clean your hair properly before applying color
- Utilize warm water to wash your hair.
- After you are done applying it, drape your hair with a plastic cap
2. Prepare your Curly Hair For dyeing
The second step includes the application process, which can be done naturally or conventionally. Check if your hair is healthy enough for dyeing. If it's severely damaged, it's recommended to improve its health before applying any color. Consider deep conditioning treatments and trims if necessary. Moreover, select a hair dye that is suitable for your hair type and will give you the desired results.
3. Section your Curly Hair for Application
Similarly, this step revolves around what you want to do with your curly hair: dye it completely or give it an outer shade only. If you want to give it an outer shade, you need to use foil for the top application. But if you want to dye your curly hair completely, you need to separate it into different sections so that the application can reach its roots.
4. Apply Petroleum Jelly on Your Curly Hairs
This is also one of the most crucial steps, as it helps prevent damage to your hairline. The application of petroleum jelly or Vaseline helps protect your hairline from hair dye. Once you are done with the application process, you can remove the jelly by using any product.
5. Put the color on From the Roots to the End
Well, this step depends on whether you want to utilize the color completely or partially. If you want to dye your hair completely, you need to take care of the following things:
- Utilizing hair clips, segment your hair into different sections.
- Set up each section so that the color is used appropriately.
- Apply the product beginning at your hair's roots and working your way up.
- Use the brush or spread the product evenly with your fingers for proper application.
- After finishing a section, use the clip to divide it.
- Continue doing so until the color has covered every area completely.
- Put a hat on your head to achieve the desired outcome.
- Give the application some time before returning it.
However, if you only want to apply the color partially, follow these instructions:
- As needed, adjust the foil.
- Make several sections in your hair using a comp or clips.
- Ensure that each section receives the appropriate application.
- Put the foil over it.
- Hold off until a suitable time.
6. Follow the Direction and Let it be Dyed.
How long you need to leave it totally depends on what type of dye you have used. If you use conventional dye, it does not take too much time. After 25–30 minutes, you can wipe it. However, if you use any natural dye, the time it needs to consume to properly give its result might be longer than that of a conventional one. Therefore, it depends on the type of color you want for your curly hair.
7. Wash Out the Dye Completely
In this step, you need to confirm whether you have waited the recommended time. If yes, use the steps hereunder:
- First, wash it out properly with water
- Use shampoo of your choice on your hair and scalp
- Use a hair conditioner to properly cleanse it.
- Rub your hair properly until the water runs cleanly
- Make use of a towel to dry your hair.
- Enjoy the new look of your hair
- Use oil for shininess
8. Look after your hair after dyeing
Post-care of hair after dyeing is critically important. Taking care of your hair in the right direction is what makes it healthy and beautiful. After all the steps, which you have done right, here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Use products that make your hair strong and strengthen
- Buy shampoo which suits your scalp best
- Be conscious with your hair and scalp as much as you can
- After coloring, avoid using shampoo at least for five days
- To keep the color for a longer period of time, use shampoo that is sulfate-free.
- Do message with any oil which you think is best thrice a week.
- Cover your hair properly while going out
- Use all the precarious measures to strengthen your hair
Undoubtedly, modifying your wavy hair is not something that is impossible. Rather, there are many ways to fix it. No matter which routes you follow, what matters is taking the right steps in your journey to changing your curly hair. The above-mentioned tips and tricks, which are gathered through proper research, can play a vital role in the context of taking care of your curly hair.
Therefore, as long as you keep the above-mentioned tips, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot have the hair you wish: beautiful with vibrant new hues.
Experimentation with various colors and shades is what makes it fun! What you need to do is keep all these tips in mind for healthy hair, and you are good to go!
It is the fact that sharing is caring. If you have ever dyed your hair at home, feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Applying additional color to damaged hair can exacerbate the problem. Your hair might become dry and straight in the end. So be careful in this regard.
The most important thing you need to keep in mind is the health of your hair. Make sure your hair is resilient enough to resist harsh chemicals. If your hair is not strong, wait a few weeks and work on making it strong by nourishing it. Applying dye to unhealthy hair may not be good for your overall health. Therefore, pre-examination is a must.
Not really. Hair dye does not work to straighten wavy hair. Nonetheless, it can help it look different.